Friday, January 15, 2016

All About Erin

Erin and Halle are two and a half now!  So, I thought it was fitting to do a little update post about these little twinkles.

Today is all about Erin!



Erin is spunky, fun loving, passionate, expressive, emotive, playful and enjoys routine.  She is almost rigid with the amount of structure and routine she desires and gets upset if things don't go according to plan.  She has the most difficulty adjusting to a change in schedule.  She is talking in full sentences and most people can understand a great portion of what she is saying, it helps that she is SUPER LOUD ALL THE TIME.  Erin calls herself "Eh-win" and gets upset when she is called by anything else.  Nicknames are offensive - "NO!  NOT SWEETIE, I Eh WIN!"  She cried the other day when Lia was trying to convince her she could be a girl and also be Erin.  "No NOT GIRL, I Eh WIN!"  

Erin loves to play outside and has learned to enjoy the swings.  Todd figured out that she was looking directly at the ground when swinging and would freak out or get dizzy.  When he shows her how to look up toward him, she enjoyed it much more.  She still doesn't like to go as high as Lia or Halle, but at least she is swinging!  She also really loves playing pretend games with her sisters and they will usually play school, baby and mommy, going night night or Anna and Elsa.  She loves puzzles and usually chooses this activity for quiet time.  

Lia, Erin and Halle have their moments where they play SO well together and then there are moments where I'm intervening every 10 seconds.  Par for the course with three girls I've decided.  Erin plays well with both Lia and Halle but if she gets upset, Erin just screams at the top of her lungs.  We are working hard on having her tell other people what she wants or needs before starting to scream.  I think this technique serves her well though, because it usually shocks the other person into accidentally giving her what she wants.  She has extreme emotional reactions when things don't go her way, but also snaps out of it really fast when the issue is resolved.    

The two year old inside her is beginning to show through and her usual agreeable self has given way to testing limits and pushing boundaries.  She will flat out refuse to do things just to see what will happen and will have fall out tantrums when she realizes what the consequence is.  It is frustrating for me at times, but also kind of entertaining because I can see exactly what she is trying to do.  She has stopped napping totally and I think out of all three kids, she is the one who probably still needs that sleep.  I stopped fighting it and now all three kids just have quiet time in the afternoon.  However, on the days when she is really tired is when I see this two year old defiance the most.

The W sound is very prominent in her language right now:  "I Eh-win!  I have wellow shwirt wike WOO!  Woo cold?  Wear wer wacket?" Translation:  I Erin!  I have yellow shirt like you!  You cold?  Wear your jacket?  She is so funny when I can't figure out what she is saying.  I'll guess at a few things I think it could be and each time she responds with a very defeated and frustrated "no....." and will say it again and again in exactly the same way.  This will continue until I figure it out.  She is super persistent and will ask for things 100 million times without giving up until she is helped/heard/given an answer.  The other day at quiet time she needed help with a magic clip doll and laid on the floor under her door saying "Mama help Anna dress" over and over for about 5 solid minutes.  I thought she would eventually give up and go play - NOPE.  Not this kid. 

She absolutely loves school and her teachers.  She doesn't talk about the kids in the class very much, but always talks about Ms. Kim and Ms. Esther.  Ms. Esther has a little crush on Erin and thinks she is the cutest thing ever.  Erin has never been anxious about being left at school and has never cried at drop off.  She was a little hesitant only one day and that was because I took her water bottle from her hands and put it in the cubby instead of letting her do it herself (like our usual routine).  I took out her water and let her do it and she was totally back to normal.  Whenever I ask what she did at school she always (always) yells "paint pumpkins!!!"  This was an activity they did at halloween.  It's January.  Ha.

A few funny things:  She responds with questions like "Who wants a snack?"  with "I!  I!  I!"  Switches off saying "Abra Cadabra" or "please" - so funny!  "Open door!!  Abra Cadabra!"  She imitates EVERYTHING Lia does - especially when Lia is misbehaving.  Lia usually blames it on Erin when they are caught.  Ahh sisterly love.  For the first time ever, Erin played a "twin trick" on someone.  She said to Lia one day "No I not Eh-win!  I Hayye!"  Lia said "no, you're Erin!"  "No Lia!  I'm Hayye!!"  Lia was as confused as ever.  Erin was just giggling.

Oh Erin, you are loveable, strong and amazing.  We love you!!



No comments:

Post a Comment