6:00am: Todd and I dragged ourselves out of bed bracing ourselves for what may come - first day of school is a wildcard...
6:01am: coffee - start breakfast for kids
6:15am: Todd heads back to get the kids up
6:16am: two children come happily bounding into the kitchen bubbling about the first day of school
6:18am: Lia wanders into the kitchen still covered in blankets and sits down. Everyone pauses to see how she's feeling...
6:20am: "Teddy bear toast? I LOVE teddy bear toast!" Lia exclaims! Relief overwhelms me. She's happy this morning. Thank goodness. I pack lunches and backpacks while they eat.
6:45am: Motivate kids to finish eating, get dressed, shoes, teeth brushed and ready to go.
7:05am: We are ready in record time! Traditional back to school pictures in front of the house!
7:08am: We all pile in the car to head to school!! The doors don't open until 7:20am so we tried to stall along the way...
7:11am: Stalling didn't work - the kids were basically running to the building. Had to wait in the cafeteria until 7:20am when the bell rang. As soon as the bell rang, we were off to Halle's class first!!
7:22am: Halle settled and happily chatting with friends. "Bye Mom! Bye Dad!" Quick hugs and we were out the door to Erin's classroom. Thinking to myself "doing Halle first was a smart move - that was easy!"
7:25am: Erin marches right in and gives her teacher the biggest hug ever. Happy to be there and excited. Very excited about having her own personal cubby for her backpack and went about putting all her things away. She seems comfortable, happy and confident this year. Gives Todd and I sweet hugs, quietly says bye and turned her attention to her desk. The wiggle stool was a hit.
7:29am: We take the very long walk to the clear other end of the building to take Lia to her class. She is waving and saying hi to friends in the hall and other teachers she knows. She seems comfortable which is awesome rather than stoic like she gets when she is nervous. We near her classroom door and she reaches out, grabs my hand and hesitates. I'm think to myself "C'mon Lia! You've got this! Get in there!" - I swear I didn't say it out loud, but it is like she heard me. Her teacher gives her a big hug and words of encouragement which helps alot. She also tells Lia what needs to be done and Lia got right to it. Then Lia's buddy Bree walks in and Lia's relief is palpable. A friend. Fabulous. Lia gives us big hugs and sat down happily to color with Bree. Win.
7:36am: Todd and I arrive home having done more in the 6am-7:30am time frame than we've done in months. We are feeling positive, happy, and relieved that the morning went as smoothly as it did. Excited to hear all about their day!! Now, COFFEE. :)









No comments:
Post a Comment