Monday, December 14, 2015

North Pole Flyer

It took reserving tickets back in August, but we got to ride the North Pole Flyer train over the weekend!  This train ride takes place throughout December and it is put on by the Austin Steam Train Association.  They have steam train rides for people year round and everyone on board volunteers and dresses up in old fashioned costumes and everything.  Really fun.

For the Christmas train ride, Santa visited and the kids got special treats along the way.  The kids were SUPER excited about the entire event and Lia kept asking if we were really going all the way to the North Pole.





I booked a booth in the corner of one of the trains and it worked out perfectly.  Only down side is that there wasn't a window right off the seats.  Every train car is totally different and the set up on this one was awesome, just wish we had a window close by!  Once the train gets moving, you are allowed to walk between train cars and go outside on the platforms.  It was really fun walking (especially Lia) through the train because the style of the train was so similar to Polar Express.  "This train is just like the polar express, right Mama?"









We stole someone else's seats while they were gone....


The staff read the kids a story, handed out hot chocolate and cookies.  Santa also visited!  After meeting Santa at Sights and Sounds, I think Lia was a little skeptical about the, uh, quality of Santa's getup this time, but she was polite and didn't say anything to him.  HA.  Halle was even more skeptical and refused to go near him.




Overall, it was a really fun day but Todd and I both agree the train ride was a little bit long.  It was a 2 hour ride that probably should have been 1.5 hrs max.  The kids were having a ball, they just got a little bored near the end.

I would totally do it again though - with these minor adjustments:

- I would want a big group of people to book out a whole train car.  It would be like a rolling party with friends everywhere to do things with.
- I would bring awesome snacks.  I had no idea they let you bring outside food on the train.  People had full spreads of food out in their little private cabins (would NOT do that - too claustrophobic!)
- I would bring something for the kids to do - like a little gift to open and play with - something.  The activities were great, but that last 30 minutes I was digging through my bag for my restaurant toy stash.

Live and learn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment