Sunday, May 8, 2016

"Happy Mudda Day, Mama!"

This mother's day weekend was spent having a great time with Todd and the girls during a random and spontaneous trip to the lake (blog post upcoming!).  This year was the first time I felt the girls really were all old enough to participate and understand that this is a day "to be nice to mama and love mama, right?"  Todd was so sweet and got a card for me that included a little something from each of the girls.  I think it is so awesome to hear from the child's point of view, what is significant to them.  Erin told Todd that she loves when I sing Jelly Man Kelly to her (which is funny because I actually never sing that song and have a terrible singing voice, but that is super sweet all the same!).  Halle told Todd she loves "night night time with mommy" and Lia said she loves when I take her to school.  Each of the girls signed their names in the card and it was so awesome to see that Todd thought to involve them all in that way.

The preschool also does lots of mother's day projects with the kids.  I look forward to receiving these little art treasures because I love the quotes.

Kisses and food - the way to Halle's heart I guess!!

Gramma got a shout out from Erin!!! 

Lia's class did these hearts that the kids cut out themselves (Lia still isn't allowed to have scissors in our house, so I'm glad she is learning to cut things at school that are not her sister's hair...)  They drew pictures of themselves with their mom and there is a little quote on the back.  So stinking cute.

At the end of each school day, I evaluate the artwork the kids bring home and determine if it is worth keeping or not.  Coloring sheets are usually tossed, but these, these went directly to the save drawer!!!

We had a little "mommy party" with the kids at school and they were delighted to see me during their school day.  Erin and Halle were totally adorable but super clingy the entire time.  I think they were very confused as to what the heck was going on.



We had a really fun time, but when it was time for them to go back to their class - bad news bears...  Erin surprised me and just hopped up and got in line with her class.  Halle had an absolute meltdown.  For two kids that have never, not once, cried when I drop them off at school, this was heart wrenching.  I assumed she would get better after I left and resisted the urge to go back and peek in (remembering what happened with Lia on the first day of school).  Well, apparently Halle was sad the rest of the day and turned up with a fever as well.  Poor thing probably wasn't feeling well from the get-go.  Luckily, it seemed to be a quick little bug that moved on the next day.

Lia was ALL SMILES the entire time I was there and was hopping around the room.  She was so happy I was there for the "mommy party" and this girl loves a party!  She chatted with others and is getting to the point now where she interjects meaningful things into adult conversations.  Totally catches me off guard especially when I'm talking about things that probably should be going right over her head...  "what does that mean, mommy?  why did you say "gosh I could have died?" Are you going to die, Mommy?  I thought you had to be 100 before you die?' (cue very interesting, random conversation about death at the "mommy party" and also about the fact that "mommy was just kidding, that is something you say when something is really funny, but you don't need to say that, okay?") - yeah, awkward.  She's growing up, people, and it is freaking me out!



It has been alarming how quickly things can change in a family.  To go from one baby, to two babies and a toddler, to three toddlers and now to a preschooler and two toddlers (who are feeling more like preschoolers lately!) is just a really fast transition in a short 4 years.  Each stage presents unique challenges, but also some really fun features.  I love looking at these girls and seeing confident, kind and genuine people developing.  Something right is happening around here and I love being the mother that gets to see it all.

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment