Disclaimer: this post is all about bodily functions so read on if you dare...
On Monday I got some new undies for Lia at Target continuing my search to find some that actually stayed on her tiny little body. These were a total success and Lia was in love with her new Elmo and princess undies. I put them on her (like we have done a number of times in the past) and just decided to let her wear them until she had an accident or refused to go potty after which I'd put a diaper back on her and call it done. Well, that never happened. She has been in undies full time during waking hours since Monday with no accidents. Really.
Lia has been able to pee on the potty for a few months now and always enjoyed going potty with Mady, so I feel like Mady deserves a lot of the credit. The biggest signal that we were full on committed was when we got a successful poop. I was upstairs with the babies and Todd was in his office and all of a sudden we just hear Lia yell "Lia pooped!" I instantly think "gross, I'm going to have to clean up some crazy mess" and begrudgingly head downstairs. To our surprise, Todd and I both find Lia standing by her little frog potty proudly pointing at her most recent accomplishment. She did it - pooped in the potty. After flushing, she decided that was so much fun she wanted to do it again, and again, and again. I'm not sure how this little girl produced so much poop, but she did. She continues to be fascinated with watching this product come from her body and it is often that while she is pooping she has her head between her legs watching it happen while yelling "Lia's pooping!!" Gross I know, but also hilarious when you are here.
Todd and Lia have created a little potty victory celebration including a high five, fist bump and then yelling "score!" It is so freaking cute I want to cry.
Lia now needs only reminders of "do you need to go potty?" and "no pee or poop in your undies" and she will go, unprompted, to the bathroom. We've been at home pretty much full time, so the next step is getting out of the house and seeing if this streak continues in different scenarios. I took her to Target yesterday and she did great - we tested out the Target potty, but she was a little freaked and didn't actually go.
My next concern is school on Monday... I worry that she won't tell the teacher in time or the teacher won't pick up on her cues that she needs to go. I worry that the school potty will be scary to her like Target's and she won't want to go... It is often that I worry about things and Lia totally proves me wrong and I hope that is the case here, but either way, she is going to school in undies. We are committed now and I think Lia is too.
you potty trained yourself when you said i don't want to wear these diapers anymore. that was it - done
ReplyDeleteThis story had me rolling in hysterics. I love that little girl! I am so glad we were there recently because I can totally see her, with her face lit up with a huge grin, yelling, "Lia pooping!" Way to go, big girl!
ReplyDeleteI have read and re-read this post at least 10 times and have laughed until I cried every time! Way to go, Lia - Girl! SCORE!
ReplyDelete