Sunday, July 14, 2013

At a Loss

It is hard to find the words to describe such a loss, such a sudden event that captures the hearts of so many.  Friday, July 12th, the family was forced to say goodbye to a precious woman, Todd's grandmother, Ruth Cole.  I was incredibly fortunate to spend time with Grandma Cole and have many memories of fun and exciting times with this dear woman.  Swimming in her backyard pool with Todd, Tyler and cousins Jay and Katie, having big family dinners with Grandma and Grandpa Cole, happy hours, family reunions, bourbon slushes, trips to the winery, family weddings, and new babies.

I have always felt incredibly lucky to be part of a family where I felt loved, fully accepted and cared for.  Grandma Cole felt like my own grandmother in so many ways.  I felt honored to be included in family traditions and reunions and enjoyed meeting the extended Richards family on several occasions.  You could clearly see how loved she was by so many and how cherished she was as an individual. 

I mourn this loss in my own way as each person does and continue to think of the positive times I have shared with her.  On the evening she passed, I sang Amazing Grace to Lillia when putting her to bed, just randomly thinking of songs to lull her to sleep, but was reminded of Grandma Cole immediately.  She loved to sing and had a fabulous voice.

Grandma Cole with Lia last July at the Richards Reunion

I feel saddened to think that she never had the opportunity to meet Erin and Halle, but find peace in the fact that she had seen pictures of these beautiful babies and knew they were healthy and happy.  She loved following Lia's blog and would comment about how much it meant to her often.  I loved writing posts knowing that she was enjoying them so much.  This blog has certainly lost its number one fan...

She was so excited to be involved in Lillia's life and you could see how much she shined when Lia was around.  She just loved watching her play and Lia was enamored by her Nana.  I think she did wonder why Nana was named after a banana though...  :)  Lillia would go into Nana's room and would wake her up and would go searching for her if she was not at breakfast during visits.  We all know how much Nana valued her sleep, but luckily she always welcomed interruptions by her great granddaughter!  One of Lia's favorite things about her Nana was her "car" and would ask for rides all the time.  This is one of our favorite pictures taken during her last visit to Austin.  Even as I write this post, little Lia sits next to me pointing to the pictures saying "Nana!" and signing "more Nana."  Brings tears to my eyes. 


Baby doll given to Lia from Nana

Meeting Lillia - November 2011
Today we each are reminded of those wonderful times and are simultaneously saddened by events she will no longer be a part of.  I feel at peace knowing that Grandma Cole lived a full. loving, and happy life all the way until the end.  I feel she was fulfilled in so many ways and was blessed with each additional experience she was able to share with family.  Overall, this joyful, enlightened and loving woman touched so many and will continue to do so for generations as we pass on her legacy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment