Friday, July 5, 2013

Erin Finley & Halle Teagan

Todd and I welcomed our twin daughters into the world on 10:16 and 10:17 Wednesday, July 3rd.  What started out as a normal day ended up being one of the most special days ever! 

I had an ordinary OB visit at 4pm on 7/3/13 and based on the results from the specialist on Monday, she wanted to take another look at the girls to make sure they were doing well and ordered a non stress test.  Basically, I would go to the hospital and get hooked up on a monitor for an hour and make sure the babies were looking happy and no concerns were noted.  Todd and I realized that if anything were to look fishy, it would likely be the babies' birthday but never really expected that would happen.  At least not until the monitor showed I was actually having steady contractions two minutes apart!  All the nurses kept checking on us thinking I had to be in a ton of pain, but I really couldn't feel most of them.  Crazy I know.  I could feel tightening and it wasn't comfortable, but up to this point I thought those were just Braxton Hicks...  shows what I know.  haha.  They set up an IV and extended our one hour test to three hours to see if the pattern would continue.  Yep, totally did.  As a bonus, I was dialating quickly...  crazy.  So, a routine test at 6:00pm became a calm and planned (kind of) c-section at 10:00pm. 

Things proceeded smoothly for the c-section and I was happy that I was able to be awake this time!  We got to hear both babies cry immediately and the pediatrician yelled out that they are "so tiny, but really look great!"  Todd and I were over the moon and so relieved that both babies were healthy and stable. 

Erin Finley Gates
4 lbs 9 oz
18.5 inches long
Born at 10:16pm


Halle Teagan Gates
4 lbs 12 oz
18.5 inches long
born at 10:17pm







Todd stayed with me through the end of surgery and we went together to meet the babies in our room.  Talk about surreal!  The girls were doing great and everyone seemed impressed with how lively they were.  I got to hold them right away and had some great bonding time. 


Both girls have continued to impress over our stay in the hospital so far and are eating well.  The staff is watching for blood sugar dips and their ability to maintain their own body temperature and they have been doing great in both areas.  All the nurses talk about how they are so happy these tiny little babies have done so well and avoided a stint in the NICU so far.  Things can always change on a dime, but we are so very happy with how things have been going so far. 


I am healing well and have never loved a shower more than today.  :)  I'm off all the gross tubes and things so we are excited to bring Lillia to meet her sisters and spend some time with Mama!  I've missed her!  Until then, I'll keep staring at these two.  Because how can you not??

No comments:

Post a Comment